Mary Bridget Davies is an American singer and actress. She performs with her own band, Mary Bridget Davies, and is also an interpreter of Janis Joplin's music. She received a Tony Award nomination for Best Lead Actress in a Musical for her performance as Janis in A Night with Janis Joplin. Her band The Mary Bridget Davies Group released an album with original songs in 2012 titled Wanna Feel Somethin.
She trained first as a dancer, touring with dance productions as a child working with Tina Landon, and later began singing and acting. Davies has studied improv with The Second City in Cleveland and is also a member of the Something Dada Improv Group in Cleveland. After college, Davies started singing at blues jams in Cleveland around 2002. Also during this time she worked as a dance instructor at Dance Dimensions in Ohio with Jen Naso. In 2005, she auditioned and landed the lead role for a touring production of Love, Janis. She has toured in Europe with Janis Joplin's original band, Big Brother and the Holding Company, and has formed her own band, titled The Mary Bridget Davies Group that tours in festivals and clubs worldwide.
In 2012, Davies took over the lead role in A Night with Janis Joplin on tour, and stayed with the show when it moved to Off-Broadway and eventually Broadway in 2013, closing February 9, 2014. Davies was nominated for a Tony Award for Best Lead Actress in a Musical for her performance. She had previously been nominated in 2013 for a Helen Hayes Award for Best Lead Actress in a Musical. Davies has also performed in a tour of the Broadway musical revue It Ain't Nothin' But the Blues.
Ms. Davies recent performances at SXSW and a week long residency in Pasadena, CA where she was joined by The Doors’ Robby Krieger, Slash, The MC5’s Wayne Kramer, Dave & Phil Alvin of The Blasters, Bob Mothersbaugh of DEVO, Ty Taylor of Vintage Trouble, Doug Pinnick of King’s X and members of Tom Morello’s Nightwatchmen and Gnarls Barkley.
Davies reprised her role as Janis Joplin in A Night with Janis Joplin for the First National North American Tour boasting sold out shows across the country and Canada performing 63 shows in 11 weeks. Davies has lived and performed in Kansas City, New York City, and currently lives in Cleveland. In late 2017 she gave birth to her first child, a son.
Five weeks after welcoming her child to the world, Mary Bridget was back to work! A run of A Night with Janis Joplin at La Mirada Theater was filmed by the online streaming service, BroadwayHD and is now available online. In 2019, Mary Bridget had the honor of recording an album of never before released Jerry Ragovoy songs. (Ragovoy penned such classics as Piece of my Heart, Stay with Me, Time is on my Side and Cry Baby and many more. The listening party was at the Original Hit Factory in NYC attended by the industry elite to high praise.
ZACH Theater in Austin, TX has a special place in Mary’s heart so when she was offered the role of “Ghost of Christmas Present” in their heralded musical version of A Christmas Carol, she dove right in. A brief break at the holiday and MBD was back in Austin at the Janis helm, garnering a coveted B Iden Payne Award nomination for Best Lead Actress in a Musical.
- Recipient of the BEST VOCALIST AWARD by the Cleveland Free Times
- 2005 International Blues Challenge FINALIST
- Won award for BEST MOMENT IN THEATRE 2007 by the Kansas City Pitch for role as Janis Joplin in the Off-Broadway smash musical, Love, Janis
- 2011 International Blues Challenge Second Place WINNER
- 2012 Blues Blast Award Nominations for “Best New Artist Debut CD”
- 2012 Blues Blast Award Nomination for “Sean Costello Rising Star”
- 2013 Blues Music Award® Nomination for Best New Artist Debut
- 2013 Helen Hayes Award Nomination
- 2014 LA Outer Critic’s Circle Award WINNER
- 2014 Theater World Award WINNER
- 2014 TONY Nomination for Best Lead Actress in a Musical for her role as Janis Joplin in A Night with Janis Joplin
- 2014 Jimi Hendrix Forever Stamp Unveiling Concert at SXSW with Slash, R0bbie Krieger, Wayne Kramer, Jesse Malin and Doug Pinnick
- 2016 First National and Canadian Tour of A Night with Janis Joplin
- 2017 Narrates the audiobook, Love, Janis by Laura Joplin for Recorded Books Publishing
- 2018 BroadwayHD films A Night with Janis Joplin for online streaming
- 2019 Records Stay with Me: The Reimagined Songs of Jerry Ragovoy on Broadway Records
- 2020 B Iden Payne nomination for her protrayal of Janis Joplin in A Night with Janis Joplin at ZACH Theater in Austin, TX