New West Guitar Group featuring Traugott Guitars
featuring new west
Thursday, Dec 01, 2011 8:00 PM PST
Kuumbwa Jazz Center, Santa Cruz, CA
New West Guitar Group
Featuring three young guitar virtuosos, Perry Smith, John Storie and Jeff Stein, New West has been making their mark as the premier acoustic/electric guitar ensemble. Based in Los Angeles, their original music combines the foundation of jazz with elements of blues, rock and folk.
Guitarists John Storie and Perry Smith established New West when they were both students at the University of Southern California. As music majors, New West collaborated withUSCto become the first group to receive the coveted Thornton Protégé Grant. It was during this time that the Los Angeles Sister Cities Committee honored the group as musical ambassadors of LA. This honor gave them the chance to perform at the 2005 World Exposition in Nagoya, Japan and the 2007 German-American Volksfest in Berlin, Germany. The group has continued to perform in major venues throughout Canada, Japan, Europe, and the United States.
In August 2009 New West performed at the Britt Festival in Southern Oregon as the opening act for Diana Krall. Following that performance they released an all-acoustic album “Sleeping Lady” featuring jazz signer Gretchen Parlato. Acoustic Guitar Magazine described the album as “...ranging from chamber-like elegance and fragile introspection to exhilarating swing and gritty blues.”
Most recently New West has produced their fourth album “Round Trip Ticket” released
for SummitRecords on October 11th, 2011. The new album combines the different
timbres of acoustic and electric guitar to create the signature sound of New West.
- “New West is poised to inherit a voice with the world's cultural change-makers…”
- Minor Seventh.com
- “Through years of practice, the group's sense of time and their ability to interact are sharp and refined”
- Seattle Times
- “…a fine showcase for the musicians, as well as a tribute to the endlessly fascinating and mutable instrument they play.”
- All About Jazz
- “…you'll find that the music is as much James Taylor and Radiohead as it is Wes Montgomery and Pat Metheny”
- KQED Arts
- “...ranging from chamber-like elegance and fragile introspection to exhilarating swing and gritty blues.”
- Acoustic Guitar Magazine